Evaporative Air Coolers delivers fresh cool air most inherently, keeping your environment friendly and your lungs happy. They are empowered to bring in the refreshing cool air while displacing the stale and hot air from the openings to the outer atmosphere. Evaporative Air Coolers are not only different from the other established cooling mechanism, but also are a much better option than the other cooling solutions available and prevalent. Here is the knowhow comprising of the features;
The Cooling Method
When there is a transition of water from liquid form to vapour form, the process leads to a substantial drop in the dry air temperature. Evaporative Air Cooler uses the same technology, which is a phase transition or conversion of water from the liquid to the vapour (air) form. Evaporative cooling uses a considerable amount of water which absorbs the dry hot air and by using the principles of vaporization, decreases the temperature and throws in cool air to the designated area. The efficiency of cooling in the evaporative Cooler depends on the wet bulb depression which is nothing but the difference in the temperatures of the dry and the wet bulb. The drop in temperature is significant while a relative gain in the humidity of the air is beneficial in extremely dry atmospheric conditions.
The evaporative technology uses the energy of the outside air to evaporate the water, which lowers the overall temperature and results in the cooling of the air. However, when this energy is converted into latent heat, it binds the cool air with some humidity as well. Since the energy or electricity consumed is only by the fan and pump, the efficiency is nine times more than a compressed air conditioning system. It is therefore the most common and dominant form of cooling. Since the average consumption of power is around 150 to 300 watts, which cements the fact that an Evaporative Air Cooler uses almost 75-80% less energy than the traditional air conditioning system. A natural mechanism of lowering the temperature of the hot air and allowing significantly cool air combining with an efficient humidity control reduces the need and hence the cost of energy substantially for the user.
Evaporative Air Coolers are used widespread from residential apartments to commercial spaces across the world, as they have got more advantages than Air conditioning systems. However, these are most effective in those parts of geography where the relative humidity is significantly low and the weather is extremely dry and hot. If we talk nationally, evaporative air coolers are in great demand in the northern (Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh), central (Madhya Pradesh), and west/south (Maharashtra and Telangana) parts of India. Globally, the western parts of the United States and the southern parts of Australia, have arguably the biggest consumer base of evaporative Air Coolers because of the arid weather prevalent in those places. These are places that are distant from the coastal areas and therefore have extremely dry weather conditions. Since evaporative cooling adds moisture to the air, it will be less effective in humid weather conditions and may cause discomfort as the humidity of the area can rise above 65% causing stickiness and sultriness.
Water being the principal fluid in the evaporative cooling process, the Evaporative Cooler is, therefore, eco-friendly without any emissions and biohazards because of the complete abstinence from toxic, harmful, and hazardous gases such as ammonia or CFC. Thus, however small or big, a high performance, continuously operated, and running Evaporative Cooler does not contribute to environmental pollution, ozone depletion as with water as a natural refrigerant and with significantly less consumption of electricity, the emission of carbon is also negligible. Lastly, by the sheer mechanism, evaporative cooling ensures ventilation and proper airflow which results in a marked improvement of the indoor air quality in comparison to the stale and polluted air re-cycled in mechanical cooling.
Installation and Maintenance
While installing an Evaporative Air Cooler, the first and foremost identification would be a window near which it has to be installed. As the evaporative cooling methodology constantly pulls outside air to convert it into refreshing and cool air and replaces the hot and stale indoor air, thus an outlet in the form of a window or exhaust is a must. It would be much more effective if there is also a window in the opposite direction so that cross breeze is allowed for significantly more cooling. If the installation of an air cooler is meant for an entire house, then firstly you need to install the cooler in a centralized area or then connect it to the ducts and ensure that airflow is uniform in different rooms. The steps in the process are as under:
- Assembly, installation, and setting up of the cooler – Fixing support assembly in the correct place and positioning the cooler on that is the basic step
- Waterline – Connecting the waterline to the evaporative cooler and insuring the cut off valve to be in a place that is a preventive mechanism to avoid wastage of water and also avoids damage to the cooler
- Air Vent – which runs right from the air cooler to target areas of your home to allow the passage of cool air into your room or the entire home.
- Regular maintenance is the keyword to keep your evaporative cooler up and running with optimal efficiency during the summer season and for that, the following needs to be done with due diligence:
- Depending on the intensity of usage, the cooling pads need to be cleaned, ideally a couple of times during the season and replaced if necessary
- Water tanks can have mineral deposits, moles, rust, corrosion, or even cracks. Cleaning the water tank and overhauling the same with anti-rust paint and repairing is advised to keep it in great shape
- During off-season and the dormant times, cleansing the pipes which can be clogged with dirt and dust keeps the Evaporative Cooler healthy and free of any situation of malfunctioning.
Final Buying Tips
The customer is either confused or spoilt for choices available in an evaporative air cooler, as the market is flooded with ever-increasing varieties and multi-brand invasion in this category. The Evaporative Air Coolers are also available for purchase online, however, a short and crisp checklist as given here will help in finding out the best Air Cooler to buy:
- How thick are the cooling pads as the thickness level indicates the cooling efficiency directly since thicker pads absorb more water and therefore cooling is sustained for a longer period?
- Fan size and air throw can give an idea of how much area the cooler can cool up to. Bigger coolers will have larger-size fans with low rpm but with higher air throw.
- Fan speed regulator gives the ease to operate Evaporative Air Coolers to one’s comfort level.
- Water level controller saves you from the tension of checking and monitoring excess seepage of water, as you can preset the same.
- The ability to run on an inverter gives you the flexibility to run the machine to back up the power supply in case of power failure.
- Lastly, auto air swing provides the possibility of spreading the air to the wider area rather than the uni-direction airflow.